Regardless of whether Apple gives us nerds the oft-wished-for featureless upgrade that focuses on stability, here are a few things I’d like to see in the next major iteration of iOS:
- System-wide dark mode
- Dark mode for Reading List at the very least
- Additional formatting options for Reader mode (paragraph width, font families, etc.)
- More adaptations for the Plus screen size in stock Apple apps
- Rotation for the lock screen on the Plus
- Conditional read receipts
- Conditional notifications for Messages (A VIP list? Starred threads a la Mail?)
- Conditional do-not-disturb mode
- Network prioritization
Conditional read receipts, DND mode, and notifications seem like no-brainers.
I have read receipts switched off because I don’t necessarily want everyone to be aware of whether I’ve seen their messages. I don’t need folks second-guessing why I haven’t replied. However, I wish I could switch them on for just my wife.
Same goes for notifications and DND mode. Being able to override these settings for specific people would add a nice level of flexibility (and I’d stop missing texts from my wife, which would be great).